Frequently Asked Questions

Other Aid

What type of state-based financial aid is available?

Each state has different scholarship, grant, and loan programs so research state aid based on your state and talk to your financial aid office. The FAFSA will need to be completed and submitted but there may be a state-specific deadline, so be sure to research that too.

I have maxed out my Stafford loans (subsidized and unsubsidized). I still owe money for school. What do I do?

If you are enrolled in college and have maxed out your Stafford loan options, make sure you have considered all possible scholarships since scholarships do not have to be paid back. Use our free scholarship search. Also, discuss with the financial aid office to see if Work-Study is available. If you still need more financial aid, consider with the Parent PLUS loan or a private loan. But, remember only borrow what you absolutely need.

I am in college but I don't have any money to pay for my books. My parents can't help me at all. Are there options for emergency aid?

Contact your financial aid office immediately and let it know your situation. The financial aid office can work with you to find out if any Work-Study opportunities are still available and if you qualify for any emergency scholarships or loans. If an emergency loan is offered, be sure it is the best option and only borrow what you absolutely need.